September 15, 2021 | General
Dr. Karen Shaw Becker – Full Article
Today is Labor Day, signaling that summer is coming to a close and fall is right around the corner.
As a dog parent, you know that each change of season comes with a list of potential hazards for furry family members. With autumn upon us and winter closing in, it’s time for a refresher on some of the potential hazards presented by the change of seasons from warmer to cooler weather.
Snakes — Snakes preparing for hibernation during the winter months may be more visible in the fall, which can increase your dog’s risk of being bitten. Fortunately, most snakes in the U.S. aren’t poisonous, but even a non-venomous snakebite can be dangerous for pets. Tips to keep your dog safe:
Mushrooms — Thankfully, 99% of mushrooms present little or no problem for pets or people, however, the remaining 1% can be fatal for most mammals if ingested. And to make matters worse, very few people can tell the difference between a toxic mushroom and a safe one.
Since dogs typically come across wild mushrooms during walks and other outdoor activities, especially if you live in a region with lots of moisture, it’s important to take extra care to keep pets away from areas where mushrooms might be sprouting.
Dogs tend to be attracted to two deadly mushroom species: Amanita phalloides and Inocybe. Both varieties have a fishy odor, which may be the lure. The Amanita muscaria and Amanita pantherina varieties of mushroom also have a fishy odor and are also frequently eaten by dogs. They contain the toxic compounds ibotenic acid and muscimol, which in rare instances can cause death in dogs.
The Inocybe and Clitocybe mushrooms contain a compound called muscarine that can be lethal to dogs. Since muscarine doesn’t seem to be a problem for humans, it’s assumed dogs must be uniquely sensitive to it. Some Scleroderma mushroom species are also toxic to dogs, but the poisonous substance hasn’t yet been identified.
To ensure your dog isn’t tempted, mushrooms in yards (yours and your neighbors’) should be removed promptly before neighborhood pets have a chance to notice them. As a general rule, veterinarians and pet poison experts consider all mushroom ingestions in pets toxic unless a quick and accurate identification of the mushroom can be made.
If you know or suspect your dog has eaten a mushroom, immediately contact your veterinarian, the nearest emergency animal clinic, or the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661. If your pet throws up or poops, collect a sample, place it in a plastic bag, and bring it with you.
Important note about mushrooms: Widespread misinformation on the internet stating that all mushrooms are poisonous for pets has resulted in many pet owners denying their animal companions the amazing healing properties of medicinal mushrooms.
The same species of culinary mushrooms that are medicinal for humans are also medicinal for pets, and the species that should be avoided for humans should also be avoided for pets. Dispelling mushroom myths is important to me because the health benefits of certain mushrooms can be lifesaving and life enhancing for many pets.
Rodent poison — Once the weather turns cool, rats and other rodents start looking for shelter and warmth in and under buildings, and in response, people start putting out rodenticides that are unfortunately highly toxic to pets.
Homeowners put out bait to control the mice and rats, assuming their pet won’t or can’t get into it. Even people who hide the bait around their homes can wind up with a poisoned dog. Tips for protecting your pet from rodent bait toxicity:
Needless to say, if you suspect your pet has ingested any type of rodenticide, get her to your veterinarian or the nearest emergency animal hospital right away, and if possible, bring a sample of the product she consumed so the vet staff knows what type of poison they’re dealing with.
Engine coolants — Another substance people use in the colder months of the year that is highly toxic to pets is antifreeze. Fortunately, antifreeze poisoning can be easily avoided by following a few simple safety tips:
Fortunately, U.S. manufacturers of antifreeze and engine coolants have begun adding bittering agents (e.g., denatonium benzoate) to their products to discourage pets, children, and wildlife from sampling the sweet-tasting liquid.
School supplies — Another risk the change of seasons from summer to fall presents for pets is, believe it or not, back-to-school supplies. For example, if you’ve indulged your kids with fruit-scented pencils and erasers, they can attract your dog like a moth to a flame. Common school supplies that present a potential choking hazard for pets include:
|Erasers||Glue sticks/bottled glue|
|Coins||Action figures/small dolls|
|Markers||Pencils (small splinters can get lodged in the mouth and esophagus)|
|Pens (watch out especially for pen caps)||Paperclips|
While these items are considered “low toxicity” to pets, there is the potential for GI upset and even a blockage, so be sure the kiddos keep their school supplies out of reach of four-legged family members.